+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Medicare Advantage: Aetna vs Humana vs United Healthcare

Default Medicare Advantage: Aetna vs Humana vs United Healthcare

Does anyone have any experience, observations, or experiences with medicare advantage plans offered by Aetna, Humana, or United Healthcare?

(Maybe not personal experience, but maybe your family or friends?)

All replace Medicare Part B. This means you "assign" Medicare to the carrier, who provides the service and "pays" any claims. They are alle closed networks. This means your family providers needs to be a registered provider in these plans. My father had Humana and very good care, but then again his doctors participated in the plan. That is the key. You will also need to see how the prescriptions are handled and if the RX formulary for each of these plans covers adquately your current prescriptions. Call the plan and ask for the formulary (Usually, they are disclosed on the website). Any of the toll free numbers will provide a load of information. If you call your providers office's and ask the office manager, they will tell you which one they participate in and which one they like. The AARP website also has info on different medicare plans. Good luck.

Thanks, Driverone. I've done all the legwork to make sure my mother's doctors and hospital are on the plan. Also, that her meds are covered under the formularies. After all that, I ended up with Aetna, Humana, and UnitedHealthcare.

She's with United Healthcare now, but I'm leaning more towards Aetna or Humana, because their benefits are better at a lower out-of-pocket cost.

The lower out of pocket is of course important. I have no preference between Aetna and Humana, however, I know Humana is a pretty savvy company and is probably the biggest Medicare provider. You may want to check on the transportation that might be available with both Aetna and Humana. At some point my Dad did not drive, but had a Humana van take him to the doc. There might have been a small charge.

+ Reply to Thread