+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teacher request letter

Default Teacher request letter

My daughter is in first grade at Everglades elementary school and I would like to ask for a specific teacher for the next year. I am interested in a teacher who has the learning/teaching style similar to the one she has now in 1st grade and I already have a name recommended within my neighborhood.

Has anyone written a letter like this? Do you have a sample I could model? Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by prettywoman; 05-22-2004 at 10:52 PM.

As for as I know, you cannot request a specific teacher for your child in a public school here in Broward. Honestly, you would be doing your daughter a disservice by keeping her from other teaching "styles." It is being exposed to different personalities that makes us well rounded individuals. Sounds like "special people" wanting special treatment. If you want a specific teacher or teaching style, send her to a private school.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.."
    --Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Toad
    If you can identify a good one and get your child in that class why not? Actually the bad ones stand out more than a good ones, and you may work to get out of the bad situation as much as working to get a particular good individual.
    Wouldn't it be better if a "bad one" stood out, to point that out to the school board and let them handle the problem? What happens to the other 20+ kids who get stuck with a "bad one" while one child gets to go where the parents want? Or did you tell the other parents of children in the class so they could make a change too?

My kids are now in private school, but when in Weston public grade school we were successful in changing teachers by writing letters on several occasions. So yes if you know the right people and approach it carefully it can be done.
    Now that statement above sounds like what Best Teach said.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Teach
    Sounds like "special people" wanting special treatment.

As for as I know, you cannot request a specific teacher for your child in a public school here in Broward..
    It happens very often, more than you think

Honestly, you would be doing your daughter a disservice by keeping her from other teaching "styles." It is being exposed to different personalities that makes us well rounded individuals.
    Agree, but also depends on your kid.....

If you want a specific teacher or teaching style, send her to a private school.
    What ever happend with "the best public education available"???? isn't for that the reason for the taxes???
    Last edited by d-o-b; 05-23-2004 at 06:33 PM.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” —Charles Darwin

If you can identify a good one and get your child in that class why not? .
    If the principal of that specific school has kids.... just follow his/her path.....
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” —Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by d-o-b
    If the principal of that specific school has kids.... just follow his/her path.....
    You are right.
    The teacher my daughter has this year is the same of the principal's son last year, and she is the best teacher you can dream for your kids.

No argument there from me. Sometimes you just have to stand up and be special if it is important to you.
    And in our case, it is important and, YES, I will send a letter requesting the teacher I understand is the best in second grade

As for as I know, you cannot request a specific teacher for your child in a public school here in Broward.
    Maybe not a "specific" teacher, but when I attended the kindergarten roundup for my youngest last week, the principal encouraged the parents to write a note to her if we thought our child would fit in with a teacher with a particular characteristic such as a more nurturing personality, or one that is more regimented, and a few others I don't recall.

I thought that was great because, as opposed to my oldest who was always very outgoing and easygoing, my youngest is very shy and less inclined to
    adapt very easily.

I don't think it's acting "special" to try and get the best match for your kid. I have requested teachers in the past ( in Dade) that others would never pick becuase I thought they were best for my child.
    When my kids got to Middle School- I never really requested as I thought it was time for them to get used to different personalities.

Just write a polite letter requesting the teacher, without making negative comments about any other teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Just write a polite letter requesting the teacher, without making negative comments about any other teachers.
    Thanks Ed, that's what I'll do.

I wrote a very polite letter to our principal at the beginning of this school year to request a teacher for my 5th grade son. There are two teachers--one male and one female. Being familiar with their teaching styles, I requested the male teacher because he was a much better fit for my son, and I knew my child would do very well in this environment. The principal called up last August and we talked for about an hour. He gave me the choice, but let me know he felt very strongly that my son should learn to adjust to the female teacher's teaching style and that I shouldn't be pandering to him. Regrettably I gave in, and it was a poor decision on my part. I should have stuck to my guns and opted for the teacher I knew would bring out the best in my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilly
    I should have stuck to my guns and opted for the teacher I knew would bring out the best in my son.
    I am just curious and am asking this of anyone who feels that requesting teachers is right...what happens next time a teaching style doesn't "fit?" Or when he/she is in high school? In college? In the workforce? Having a rough time in marriage? Just opt for someone else? I don't know, maybe because I am on the other side of the issue I just cannot agree. Granted, there are some poor teachers out there (as in EVERY profession) and perhaps in about 1-5% of the time a change or request is appropriate; but shouldn't you give the teacher the benefit of the doubt? Perhpas a teacher that "brings out the best in a child" is just easier? I remember in 4th grade I had the "unpopular" teacher and many "special" parents requested a change. (We knew this because the kids would talk to each other about it of course). Do you know why she was unpopular? BECAUSE SHE WAS TOUGH!! She had us doing junior high level math by the end of that year. I will never forget Mrs. Campbell and I am so thankful my mother didn't cop out and not even give the woman a chance.

Just another insight on the issue-that's all. When you start showing your children you wield that sort of power over their teachers and principal, all respect goes out the door. Trust me.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.."
    --Helen Keller

Having a rough time in marriage? .
    Thats how you got married?? You didn't pick your husband???
    I think you got the wrong example.....

I am just curious and am asking this of anyone who feels that requesting teachers is right...what happens next time a teaching style doesn't "fit?" Or when he/she is in high school? In college? In the workforce? Having a rough time in marriage? Just opt for someone else? I don't know, maybe because I am on the other side of the issue I just cannot agree. Granted, there are some poor teachers out there (as in EVERY profession) and perhaps in about 1-5% of the time a change or request is appropriate; but shouldn't you give the teacher the benefit of the doubt? Perhpas a teacher that "brings out the best in a child" is just easier? I remember in 4th grade I had the "unpopular" teacher and many "special" parents requested a change. (We knew this because the kids would talk to each other about it of course). Do you know why she was unpopular? BECAUSE SHE WAS TOUGH!! She had us doing junior high level math by the end of that year. I will never forget Mrs. Campbell and I am so thankful my mother didn't cop out and not even give the woman a chance.

Just another insight on the issue-that's all. When you start showing your children you wield that sort of power over their teachers and principal, all respect goes out the door. Trust me.
    I don't think the point made here is to avoid the unpopular teacher, but picking the best one..... I don't see anything wrong with that....
    That's what we all do in life, work, ........

+ Reply to Thread