+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weston in the news

Post Weston in the news

I have never seen so many articles this weekend mentioning the City of Weston in the news:

1: The five year anniversary of the City of Weston- hosted by Hersh and Flint and the rest of the Passport crew- It must have cost a bundle to print and mail out 8x10 postcards(what happenened to the expensive fireworks?)

2: Tax rate to stay the same (not on your life-if Flint is on board-its time for a staff change- Who authorized an annual report mailing????)

3: Wassserman-Schultz just thought of a statewide ban on cell phones in school zones (where did I hear that before??)

4: Parking woes in the city of Weston- BSO ticketing cars parked outside of Blockbuster, city ordinance prohibits parking.
    (Where are the signs?? Spanish???)

5: Sesame Street lettering #5 sign reported hanging on City of Weston Pavilion.

6: Community Activist and now (Citizen at Large) Ms Levi reported calling John Flint five years ago to have crossing guards for school opening. Flint was quoted as "I didn't think of those things"

7: Hersh chastizes Alexander "Sandy" Helperin for writing an article.. What happened to the first amendment. He apologized.

Has Hersh ever said he screwed up on the Weston Road project outside his plush Stockbrokering firm?? I guess he likes sinking bricks

Don't forget about the Weston Foundation and having to return the $350,000 to Levitt...and the fact the Weston Foundation is refusing to give the City financial information about the Foundation's fundraising for the Community Center...88% of the money raised went to the expenses of the fundraising event...No financial information for 2000, 2001 and only general information for 1999...Weston Foundation didn't file the financial information like the law requires.

Where's the money? Why won't they give anyone the financial info?

Is there a connection between the Weston Foundation and the City of Weston?

Jenna

Jenna -

None that I know of except it is
    (mis)managed by former commisioner Myers.

Got_Milk -

Last night my wife and I were returning a DVD to Blockbuster, I pulled up out front while my wife went to put it in the return box. A BSO on a bike road up next to my car and said (rudely) "that's not a parking spot you know, move it". I said to "I'm not parking". I don't think he cared for my "tone", but I wish I had seen the cruiser parked in front of Stevie B's before I drove off so I could tell him to be sure to inform is "friend" that that was not a parking space either.

Got_Milk -

On the subject of the pavers: I have been a vocal supporter of the majority of the commission but if something is not done about the condition of the intersections soon, that will change just as fast. With Sandy and (I think) Ed's reelection coming up in less that 2 years let's see if they step up to the plate and force the issue with the paver installers.

Madness, the foundation is a private organization. If they mismanage their funds (details of which i admit full ignorance) that's their deal really. The CITY is another matter all together. What Flint does IS EVERYONES business.

that's pretty funny steve, what happened outside blockbuster. Oh well, the potential irony of a sitting patrol car would have been too funny.

GotMilk! I think you're onto something here... a visible trend... But I won't hold my breath to hear Hersh ever admit a mistake, after all, cant you tell, he "knows" everything? !? Not even on a mistake so BLATANT and obvious to us all as the sinking bricks, known popularly as Flint's Stones.

So I suppose for now we have to be contented with wheres-the-fireworks?-displays, poorly written and offensive annual reports, mismanaged spending and ... well, why go on, you said it so well GotMilk...

Milk,
    On item 4 I remember reading something about a "parking ticket master"? Is that person a Weston parking ticket master? How do you get that job?

Re the Weston Foundation: I cannot remember the whole story but I do remember that the foundation did enter into some agreement with the City - they got to use the word Weston in their name and in return they would provide funds to the city from thier fundraising events (perhaps it was to decorate the building at the new park?) Anyway - it was something like that. So there is a tie in some way.....

JAX,

You are correct.

The Weston Foundation entered into a private/public partnership with the City of Weston in 1999 wherein the City authorized the Foundation to use the City's name to raise money for the City funded project known as the Community Center.

The Foundation regularly made appeals to the community for funds at Commission meetings and used the City offices to receive reservations for its fundraising event(s), all for the stated purpose of raising money for the City's Community Center.

I started asking for the financial information more than a year ago. The City asked for it last month and, Mr. Levitt apparently asked Mark Myers, the Foundation's president, for the information months ago as well.

The Foundation has refused to provide the information.

The little information we have obtained is as follows:

1. REVENUES

The Foundation raised $307,000 as of 1999.
    There is no public information about how much more money the Foundation raised in 2000 and 2001.

2. CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE COMMUNITY CENTER

Somewhere between $60,000 and $70,000, depending on who you talk to.

3. EXPENSES

As of 1999, the Foundation had spent 53% of the money it raised on "expenses." Despite requests for some detail on what these expenses, this is as detailed as it gets.

4. CURRENT BALANCES

No idea, though from information provided to Mr. Levitt, it appears as though there is less than $30,000.

I've also heard that the Foundation has not returned Mr. Levitt's $350,000. Mark Myers said at the August 20th Commission meeting that the Foundation was going to return it. That was over 2 weeks ago.

QUESTIONS

1. How much money was raised in 2000 and 2001?

2. What was it spent on? What were the "expenses"? Were there any "related party" transactions (i.e., did the Foundation pay money to any of its officers, directors and/or their companies)?

3. Why did the Foundation only donate $70,000 to the Community Center when the whole project cost over $1 Million? Where did the rest of the money go?

4. Why is the Foundation refusing to make this information public?

5. Why hasn't the Foundation returned Mr. Levitt's money to him?

Yoggie you've finally got to your senses. You are right

What in the world is a parking master?

I think Flinty created that new $100,000 position, I did however read that the fine will be reduced from $38 to $25. I guess the extra money will go towards the gym they are building at (BSO Weston). The officers need to be in tip top health chasing speeders in their cruisers.

Scott Pescoe:

I appreciate your efforts to search for answers.

1: How much did the Hersh/Flint escape to New York/Connecticut trip cost?

2: Why should the taxpayers bear the cost?

3: Why did it take two people to meet Mr Levitt?

Got_Milk

I don't know the answers to those questions, but you can get information from a public records request to the City. I have made similar requests for information from the City throughout the years and have always gotten responses.

If the answers are not in the records, you can go to a Commission meeting and ask your questions directly to the Mayor and the City Manager.

Unfortunately, I and others have requested documents and answers to questions from the Weston Foundation without any response whatsoever. When the Foundation has responded, they've just refused to provide answers.

For example, did you know that the Foundation raised over $90,000 from its Starry, Starry Night event in 1999, but spent over $80,000 of it on "expenses" for the event? I'm sure the people who donated their money to the event to support the construction of the Community Center want to know why the expenses were so high and what exactly those expenses were.

I just don't understand why the Foundation is refusing to answer questions like these.

I also don't understand why the Foundation is antagonizing Mr. Levitt by not giving him his $350,000 (plus interest) back already. The man wants to start discussing donating the money to the City for an amphitheater, but won't begin those discussions with the City until he gets his money back from the Foundation.

Why antagonize someone who wants to give money to the City? I sure would rather see an amphitheater built with private monies instead of tax dollars. Why is the Foundation jeopardizing this by dragging its feet?

None of this makes any sense.

Unless of course the Foundation is hiding something.

After a year and half of asking for answers and seeing that others have also asked the same questions get the same non-response or outright refusal to provide information, one has to wonder if there is something to hide.

I hope that's not the case, but at this point, how can you help but start to think someone is hiding something.

Why doesn't this Levit guy sue?

Who beside Meyers is part of the Weston Foundation?

Is any of this info avail or did the City get into bed without doing any homework on Meyers and his people.

Scott - thank you for the information about the foundation. I, for one, had no idea that so much was being hidden from the public. I applaud your mission to bring this out in the open.

Can you be specific about who, besides Mark Myers, is a principal in the Foundation. I can't imagine that one person would be making all these decisions and perhaps the others should be named and approached.

I did hear Mark say that he would be returning the money to Levitt. Has he changed his mind? Is it only him that we are dealing with. Shouldn't the city take some action if he is withholding an offer from the city?

Mark has probably been vacationing on the money and is afraid to show the foundation's balance sheet.

As for the police gym... why should city money pay for it? My brother is the vice president of his police union up north. His department wanted to outfit the gym in the police station. The police union did fund raising to obtain the funds...

+ Reply to Thread